Fruit of the Spirit





Fruit of the Spirit


Galatians 5: 22 “But the fruit of the Spirit is joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”


Lately I have noticed myself becoming easily frustrated leading the way to anger. While I was reading my Bible this morning as I spent time with the Lord, Luke 6:43-45 stood out. It talks about a tree and its fruits.  Let me show you:


"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.” NIV (emphasis added)


These two scriptures I feel tie together.  If our hearts are filled up with the fruits of the Spirit, every time we speak what should be coming out? How will our actions be? They will all reflect Christ! When I read these two scriptures the Holy Spirit said, “Here’s your sign!” (Are you familiar with Bill Engvall, the “here’s your sign” comedian?) Yep, the Holy Spirit got my attention with that line! He started explaining to me that it was true, I needed to be filling myself up with more of Him.


Each day we have a choice on what we will fill ourselves up with. I had been filling up on homeschool blogs, Facebook, Disney TV, and rough days in our own homeschool. It’s no wonder I was becoming so frustrated and angry. There was no fill up on His Word or His presence. If we are to be examples of Jesus Christ and have harmony in our homes and lives, we need to make it a point each and every day to spend time with Him. Like the disciples did. It’s hard to be like someone when you don’t know them, right?

I want to encourage you today to set a week long goal and dive into Him each day. Once you’ve reached that goal set another one for the week coming. Start out slow and build up if you need to. Here is what I’m doing this week. I’m waking up at 5am to spend time in the Word and in His presence. I tried to do this at night after I put the kids to bed, but they always get out of bed and disturb me which makes me mad. Getting up before them ensures I have quiet time with my Savior. I know that my days are going to be going so much better now that I am making Him first in my day. The Holy Spirit can also remind me of what I read so I can react and respond in the fruits of the Spirit.


By spending time in the Word and in the presence of God each day, the Holy Spirit will fill us up, and when we are full of the Holy Spirit we produce good fruit; the fruit of the Spirit. I want to be known for the good fruit I produce, not only outside my home, but also inside. Join me this week as I fill up on more of Him!


Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things [are] noble, whatever things [are] just, whatever things [are] pure, whatever things [are] lovely, whatever things [are] of good report, if [there is] any virtue and if [there is] anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.”


Kim Walker-Smith FILL ME UP GOD  http://youtu.be/yWCgyMaWcDs
Pin It!

Comments

  1. I like the way you lay this out. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO true. I needed that. God is Great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts