Do You Have a Firm Foundation?





Do you have a firm foundation?


First off lets look and see what a foundation is.

From dictionary.com:

1. the basis or groundwork of anything: the moral foundation of both society and religion.
2. the natural or prepared ground or base on which some structure rests.
3. the lowest division of a building, wall, or the like, usually of masonry and partly or wholly below the surface of the ground.
4. the act of founding, setting up, establishing, etc.: a policy in effect since the foundation.
5. the state of being founded.

Do you struggle with discontentment? If so you should start building a foundation of contentment. Are you impatient? Start laying a foundation of patience. Maybe you battle with constant worry. Build a foundation of faith. You can do this with anything you may be struggling with.

How do we do start laying this foundation down?

By studying what the Word of God has to say about the issue. By training ourselves to act in a positive way instead of a negative way. To speak positively instead of negatively. These two components, searching for truth and acting it out, must go together. The Bible says in
2 Timothy 2:15,

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

It is important to know what God says because His words are truth and we need to know if we are walking in His truth or not. In James chapter 2 verse 17 we read,

"So also faith, if it does not have works (deeds and actions of obedience to back it up), by itself is destitute of power (inoperative, dead)." (AMP) 

If we are taking the time to study the Word of God for the truth about our situation, I would think that we have faith to make this work out. However, we are warned in the scripture above that unless we put our faith into action, nothing will come of it. Faith requires action!

So, do you have a firm foundation?

No, I’m not talking about the house you live in, but your spiritual house where Jesus lives inside of you. Over the past few years and even more so lately I realize I have been in need of a lesson on patience. Yep. It’s true. I have been lacking in knowledge on how to truly show love to others instead of acting out in my impatience. I need to take a closer look at Jesus. Take a deeper look into the heart of the Father.

Why is it important to have a firm foundation?

Lets look at the example Jesus used about the wise and foolish man who built houses near the water. We find it in Matthew 7:24-27,

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (NIV)

I like the way The Message says it,


24-25"These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock.
26-27"But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards."

If we do not have a deep understanding of God's truth in every area of life- such as patience, worry or fear- then when the storm comes and rages against us we will not be able to stand and overcome it.


My journey to building a strong foundation in patience is taking me all over the Bible and covering more topics then just patience alone. My list so far includes scriptures on patience, kindness, truth, thoughts, the heart, self control, love, the tongue, words, and anger.

After taking a deep look into myself and replaying specific occasions and after picking those conversations apart, I realized there is so much more that needs work. I'm going to give you an example from my own life to show you how so many things can be involved, when from a quick look all we may see is one area that needs correction.

My cycle goes something like this:

Something or someone pushes my impatience button. That turns my thoughts in a negative direction. Those thoughts turn over and over, rolling down hill at a rapid pace. My heart starts beating quicker with each negative thought . Soon my thoughts turn to anger which then morphs even quicker into hate. "I hate this! I hate that!" Now my heart, mind, and body are raging. My mouth and tongue decide to get involved and every negative thought flows out of my mouth like flaming hot lava destroying everything in its path. I've completely burned those around me, myself included. I remain angry and mean for the rest of the day.

Do you see where that long list of topics came from? Once I sat down and really looked at how I was acting, feeling, and the things I was saying, I was able to see the big picture. For me it all starts out with being impatient.


I have a challenge for you.

First, ask the Holy Spirit to search the corners of your heart. He might find things you were unaware of.

Second, seek out what God has to say about your findings. Remember, we need to know the truth of our situation.

Lastly, put what you have found into action. Start speaking the truth into you life. If you are a worrier read Matthew 6:25-34 and start speaking out what Jesus says.  For me, I'll be meditating on all the scriptures I have found, speaking many of them out, and putting all that I have learned into purposeful actions.

Listen, life doesn't have to miserable or full of negative things. The only way it is going to get better is if you set a goal and take steps with the Lord to reach that goal.

I hope this blesses and encourages you to become the best person in Christ you can be.

"Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”  Mark 10:27 NIV







Pin It!

Comments

  1. Very well said. Yes we must have a firm foundation one that is built on the rock -Jesus and a foundation that also reflects His character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts