Health kick!

Do you or someone you know have issues with inflammation? I do, so I wrote this to tell you a bit about what I have come across lately. But first a quick glance at my personal history with inflammation.

In January 2006 I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I was 25 years old.  These past years have been very painful to say the least, and with only one medication that seems to help (prednisone) I have decided to take matters into my own hands....again. 

I seem to get on a to-do-kick every few months or so and then they, or I, fade out. I can never seem to fully grasp a healthy diet or gather all the right items for all the recipes. I always fail at my attempt to lower the inflammation naturally. After reading The Boy With a Thorn in His Joints on The New York Times website I once again was determined to change my health for the better and for good.


After reading Anti-Inflammation Diet for Dummies, Weelicious:140 Fast, Fresh, and Easy Recipes, and 201 Healthy Smoothies & Juices for Kids. What they offer does not require a major shopping list with very expensive items which is why I feel confident I can change my diet for good.


I am going gluten, tomato, and sugar free. You may be asking, "Wow, how are you going to do that?" I will admit, I am pretty lucky. There are several mom's at our charter school who are gluten-free and have been a goldmine of information. One on them even took me shopping to our local Raley's and Natural Food's co-op store. I learned a lot about what to look out for, steer clear of, and what tastes good. This is all just for the gluten-free part. 
sauce1.jpg
As for the tomato-free I found Nomato.com which, if I might say so myself, is really cool. She makes pasta sauce, ketchup, and BBQ sauce all without tomatoes! How great is that?! There are also lots of websites that will teach you how to make your own but if your like me, time is something you just don't have much of and it requires more time then I personally am willing to set aside for the cause. Nomato sells it for $6 a jar which I feel is reasonably priced. Plus you can reuse the jar! We had enchiladas tonight for dinner. I didn't get to have any! The tortillas where wheat and the red sauce was full of tomato ingredients, so I set aside some turkey meat and made me some tacos on corn tortillas and loaded them with spinach. 

Sugar free is pretty basic. No refined, substitute, or fake sugars. Only natural sugars. I have been using honey, agave nectar, pure maple syrup, Stevia, or even brown rice syrup is OK. Or I just go without. No more candy, cakes, soda...sigh, the list just goes on and on. But I'm ok with that if it means feeling great!

I also came across a great website, The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen, which has great recipes, cookbooks, and loads of information on eating healthy. Whether its gluten-free or to fight off any other inflammation you may be dealing with, I would highly recommend this site.

I have a couple great sites for your picky-eaters. Mainly your kids. Weelicious.com is one of my favorite sites. She has tons of kid friendly recipes, though not gluten-free. Another one is Super Healthy Kids which has recipes of all types, gluten-free included. I encourage you to check these great resources out as soon as you can. I know you will find something to meet you and your children's needs.

That's about it for now. Please leave a comment with other sites, books, or knowledge you have on this topic. Or just to let me know what you think. I cannot tell you how encouraging it is to get a comment!

Thanks for stopping by and happy healthy eating!

Here are the books mentioned in this post:








                                         











Comments

Popular Posts