Our Bodies are His Temple--Part 2



Our Bodies are His Temple
Part 2



In Part One we went over what it meant to be set apart from the world. We are in the world but are not to love what it offers. 


"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that [is] in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world." 1 John 2:15-16

Now that we know not to be one with the world, lets take a deeper look into what the Bible tells us about how to live since we are His temple.

In 2 Corinthians 6:16 we read that our bodies are His temple. He dwells inside  of us! When I invite someone over to my house I make sure I have cleaned up pretty well before they step inside. I want my house to be clean so they feel comfortable and at home. This is how we should treat our bodies since God lives inside of us. We need to constantly be cleaning house (seeking forgiveness of sins, doing our best to live right, removing anything that does not glorify God) so God--the Holy Spirit--feels at home.

"Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God." 2 Corinthians 7:1 NLT

I am not perfect but I do try my best to be my best. It really helps knowing what The Word has to say about life, especially how to live and act.

"So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world.
So you must live as God's obedient children. Don't slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn't know any better then.  

 But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. 

For the Scriptures say, "You must be holy because I am holy." 

And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you pray has no favorites. He will judge or reward you according to what you do. So you must live in reverent fear of him during your time as "foreigners in the land." 
1 Peter 1:13-17 NLT

Over and over again we read that we are not to be of this world. 

"And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. 
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." 
Romans 12:1-2 NLT

Or how about the NKJV. 

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, [which is] your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what [is] that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:1-2





 "Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20




Since the Holy Spirit of God lives inside of us, it is vital to keep our lives as pure as possible so we do not put up a barrier between us and God. I for one cannot live my life without His guidance and love. He has everything I need so I have to make sure the communication frequency between God and myself is free and clear of all interference. If the Living God who is holy lives inside of me, I want my temple to spotless. 

I was going deep into my study this past week when the notes on my iPad diapered. I am going to try to recover them because the direction this was going was good! I hope that what I have uncovered and laid out for you here will bless you and encourage you to live a holy and acceptable life that is pleasing to God. Pin It!

Comments

Popular Posts