The Closing of a Great Year

This was our second year of homeschooling and it went so well. We all knew the drill and what to expect so the year went pretty smoothly. Perfect, no. But smoothly, yes. There are always days that could go better but I thank God we had more good days then bad. 

It is by far the greatest feeling as a home school parent to hear the words, "Your children have been promoted to the next grade level." It is sweet music to my ears! The feeling of, "I did it! I taught my kids, they retained the information, and passed all their tests." And not once did I get to hear this, but twice. My courage to take on another year has been given a major boost. 

One thing I have enjoyed about teaching my children is how much I am learning in doing so. For instance, I have never understood decimals. But low and behold I have re-learned about them and now have the confidence to teach it to others. It may seem like a small feat for all of you mathematicians out there, but to me it's a pretty big deal. 

Another of my favorite things about homeschooling is it challenges me to meet their learning needs. As in how they learn. I do not learn like they do, and they each learn differently then the other. I can't teach my daughter math like I teach my son. He is a hands on, try it out learner. She is a read it and see learner. With my son we use a lot of manipulative's; with my daughter we use the whiteboard. I love seeing the light-bulb come on when they fully understand what is being taught.

As this school year comes to a close I am preparing for next year. I will be getting the rest of our schoolbooks tomorrow and will be able to show you what we will be using. I have no idea if the curriculum we use is available elsewhere, but I will enjoy sharing it with you. I hope to have some pictures along with the post on our books up by Friday. That may or may not work out but I'll do my best to get it posted for any of you who are interested.

It would be great to hear what others do in their homeschooling, so please leave a comment and let us all know what you have to say! 

Pin It!

Comments

Popular Posts