Prayer as a Way of Life



There have been a lot of people asking for prayer lately and it got me thinking: Do these people seek God daily, or only when things get rough?


Now, I'm not coming down on anyone. I have been guilty of this very thing in the past. But over the last few years I have come to realize that prayer, talking with God, is vital for life. At least for me and a lot of other people I know. 

In 1 Thessalonians 5 verses 16-18 we read:  


Be happy [in your faith] and rejoice and be glad-hearted continually (always); Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly]Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. AMP (emphasis added)  We are to always be praying. 

I love what Jesus said in Matthew 6:6-13. It is a great reminder for me when I don't know what to say/pray, and is a great starting point in the journey of daily prayer. 

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. “This, then, is how you should pray:

“ ‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
 Give us today our daily bread.
 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.’ NIV

Is it possible to always be praying? I say yes. It's as simple as speaking to your friend. Can you talk on the phone or in person for hours? I can't. I don't have that much to say but it's really easy for some people. This is how we can come before God when we pray. Nothing fancy, just conversation. He wants to know about our day, how we are feeling, what we need, what we want, what we need help with. He wants to know about our kids, our health, our finances. He wants to know everything about us. He wants us to seek Him in everything!

So, knowing this, will you make a point to talk with God more? I hope so! 


Pin It!

Comments

Popular Posts