Why did he do that?






I was reading through Genesis when I came upon a section of scripture that left me asking,"Why did he do that?" Here is what I read:


18 Now the sons of Noah who went out of the ark were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. And Ham was the father of Canaan. 19 These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the whole earth was populated.


20 And Noah began to be a farmer, and he planted a vineyard. 21 Then he drank of the wine and was drunk, and became uncovered in his tent. 22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. 23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and went backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.
24 So Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done to him. 25 Then he said:

“Cursed be Canaan;
servant of servants
He shall be to his brethren.” Genesis 9:18-25

I couldn't understand why Noah cursed his grandson. So I asked The Lord. He replied by giving me a different perspective of the whole situation. Ham was perhaps a bit immature. Think of it going something like this:

"Hey guys, you gotta see Dad! Ha ha, I can't believe it! Come on, come see him!"

Yea, I would have been pretty upset, too. However, Noah's older sons covered their dad respectfully so that no one, including themselves, would see the nakedness of their father. 

I am so glad I asked The Lord about this. I wasn't able to continue on in my reading until I knew the answer because it was important to me that I understood what was going on. I encourage you to do the same when you come across something you don't quite understand. I've received an answer each time I asked Him about scripture. God is so good! All we have to do is ask.

Pin It!

Comments

Popular Posts