If you don't have anything nice to say...

It amazes me how many people speak their minds with total disregard as to the people it might effect. I was taught at an early age that if I don't have anything nice to say I should say nothing at all. Harsh words don't do anyone any good. The person that is saying them only gets more upset while internally wounding the person spoken to. Or in some cases, reading it. Ok, I understand that we have the freedom of speech but I firmly believe that there are thoughts that can remain unsaid and should. But there are so many that feel they should blast another person because of a mistake they made. It's about judgment. Let's see what the Bible says,

 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.       For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.          “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?       How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?       You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.          “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. (Matthew 7:1-6 NIV)
I like the way the message puts it,

"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor. (Matthew 7:1-5 MSG)

some simply have no compassion for others. I am disgusted that some websites allow people to leave extremely negative comments about people. Everyone makes mistakes! We are all human! It happens! But as soon as someone messes up everyone is so quick to point the finger. 

"but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.      At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them.   The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group   and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.   In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”   They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.   But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.   When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”   Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.      At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.   Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”      “No one, sir,” she said.   “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.” (John 8:1-11 NIV)

We need to be careful of what we say and how we act. I'll be the first one to stand up and admit I'm not perfect. I'm no high and mighty standing on a pedestal. I say the wrong things, do the wrong things and even act out in my anger. But I'm working on it. I know what the Word says about these things. I don't dare point my finger at people because I know I have flaws too. But...I would never bash a person on the web for all the world to see. I would never bash a person behind their back. I may not agree with things people do. If I don't, I'll either tell them or keep it to myself. 

I'm just ranting on here. I'm hurt. Why do I let what others think bother me?  I may never know.

Comments

Popular Posts